I choose to do the second challenge activity. I thought that it would be fun and a good way to explore different text options in Adobe. I used Photoshop for my project, but looking back I may have wanted to use Fireworks. I choose the word chilly because I am traveling and experienced an extreme temperature drop! I choose the word swirl, just because I like it! My words would be used to enhance a presentation for upper elementary and above. They may also trigger the meaning of the word or the work that it represents.
Revised Image:

Usability Comments:
-
Your second draft of chilly is even better than the first. The blue colors of the font and the icicles convey a cold feeling. And the icicles are a nice touch. Maybe changing the icicles that project upwards from the H and the L to project downwards might further the chilly feeling, possibly coming from the top of the Y? Swirl is very swirly and the curlz font that you used projects swirl very well. I don't think there is a better font you could have chosen. The purple works well too. My only suggestion for swirl is to continue with the tolls you chose to use in Photoshop to emphasize the swirled appearance even more. Excellent work!

Justification:I would use my word design for upper elementary and above. The fonts look very different from handwriting or typeface that they would see in books, so I would not want to use them for younger children. I choose the font rosewood std, a decorative but slightly serif style font (pg.229), because it looked like the font on the side of ice containers in stores. It instantly made me think of cold, which is similar to chilly. I also used the repetition of blue (pg.203) to show how the icicles were connected to the word chilly. I moved all of the icicles to the bottom of the word except one to increase more of the repetition of items. I wanted the item to look like a whole product. When creating the word swirl I decided on the decorative font (Pg. 230) of curlz. I thought that the font established a fun mood. The color purple also set the mood of fun and swirly. I used photoshop to make the letters swirl even more. Overall it was my intention to have swirl look fun but still be legible. I used all decorative, fun fonts because my words were more for conveying meaning then teaching a specific element.
These work. I really liked swirl.
ReplyDelete